Ironworker’s son, 12, ‘killed’ by ironworker’s truck on Sheffield road
A 12-year-old boy who was struck and killed by a truck on a Sheffield road was killed by the driver who left the truck “on its side”, an inquest heard.
The collision happened on March 2 in the road near Bremner Place.
The coroner ruled the death a “tragic accident” and adjourned the inquest into the boy’s death to April 25.
“We’re all shocked by this death, I don’t know how to put it,” said Coroner John Stapleton.
“The whole family is devastated and they don’t really have the answers to what happened to this boy.”
The driver, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has not been arrested.
Police said he was on probation at the time of the collision.
The inquest was told the driver of the truck had no previous convictions and the vehicle had a total of three seats.
A number of vehicles had driven through the area at the same time.
Coroner Stapley said the truck was travelling in the left lane, and the road was clear when the driver turned his vehicle into the right lane.
“When the driver turns the truck into the left, it can hit you and it can kill you,” he said.
“He didn’t have time to react.
The coroner said the driver had “a history of dangerous driving behaviour”. “
It was the same truck he was driving at the moment of the crash.”
The coroner said the driver had “a history of dangerous driving behaviour”.
He said the coroner was also unable to determine the cause of death.
He said: “It’s not like it was the first time he’d been involved in an accident.”
The inquest heard the boy was riding his bicycle when the collision occurred.
The Coroner said the boy had been riding the bike in the right-hand lane and had not been looking in that direction at the impact.
“I don’t think you could see the impact,” he told the boy.
The boy’s mother, who was walking her dog at the scene, said the collision was “horrible”.
“He was on the right hand side of the road,” she said.
The woman said the father of her three children was a driver who had been suspended for “a long time”.
“There was a lot of anger,” she added.
“My heart goes out to the family.”
The Coroners Office said it was assisting with the investigation.
A spokeswoman said it is investigating the collision “as an accident and will be working with the family and the relevant police.”
The woman and the father have been granted anonymity for the investigation and have not been charged.